Recognition in the workplace is essential if you want to work in a happy environment.
Think about the last time you did a large project at work and got recognized for it. How good did you feel having somebody notice your work? Alternatively, consider how you felt the last time you spent ages on a piece of work and had no acknowledgment of the hours you poured into it. Being recognized for our work can have a huge impact on our self esteem in general.
But how can you promote recognition and celebrate success in the workplace? Why should more people be having this discussion? In this blog, we’ll be taking a look at why recognition is a key element of company culture, and how you can apply this to your own environment.
What types of recognition are there at work?
There are plenty of different kinds of recognition and achievements in the workplace, and they will vary from industry to industry. The main types to consider include;
- Verbal praise and recognition. This is one of the easiest forms of recognition to partake in, but can often mean the most to employees. Simply being acknowledged for your effort and work can mean the world if it comes from the right person.
- Physical awards. Having an actual award in your hand can truly cement your achievements and drive home how much the company values you.
- Monetary prizes and awards. Money does make the world go round after all, and using it as a reward can be very effective in the right scenario.
- Gifts and prizes. This ties in well with sales targets and goals. If you’re a manager looking to inspire your team, offering a prize could make a huge difference.
As you’ll be able to tell from our website, we believe that awards are one of the most important and professional ways to recognize achievement in the workplace, but the other methods can be very effective if put into practice effectively too.
Why is it so important to recognize your employees and their successes?
Now that we’ve covered what recognition can look like in the workplace, let’s examine why it’s so important to recognize your employees and peers at work. No matter if you work in a team of 10 or 100, it’s still important to acknowledge everybody’s achievements.
Firstly, being recognized for a piece of work can inspire people and boost their self esteem. If you’re managing a team or company, it’s crucial to keep people’s mental health and happiness in mind. If you know that someone’s worked incredibly hard on a project, make sure to take the time out to acknowledge this and praise them.
Also, recognition can boost workplace productivity and encourage better performance. This is especially true when it comes to physical awards and prizes. Lots of people are driven by physical objects and the desire to win, as much as some may not want to admit it.
Another great side to recognition is that it shows employees that you care, specifically in larger companies. It’s easy for CEOs and managing directors to seem like mythical creatures, locked away in towers- which is why receiving an award and a smile from one can make somebody’s day at work.
How can you recognize your employees at work?
To bring this article to a close, let’s take a look at how you can start promoting recognition and praise in the workplace. Here are some of our top suggestions on how to do this;
- Hold frequent award ceremonies. A glamorous award ceremony with trophies can be a fun way to acknowledge the top performers in your company.
- Spend one on one time with high achievers. Speaking in person is another important aspect of recognition at work.
- Set realistic yet ambitious goals for your staff. Keeping goals ambitious yet entirely achievable is very important.
- Encourage positive discussions about achievement. Don’t shy away from having this discussion with your peers and employees at work! It’s so important, for everyone’s happiness and mental health.
There are plenty of other ways of course, and we’d encourage you to do your own research into the more niche ways to celebrate people in your own personal industry.
What Awards4U has to offer
Awards4U knows the value of recognition and celebration, and we want to help you realize the value too. We’ve got a huge range of customizable promotional materials and awards to help your staff feel special, alongside our handy blog content.
If you’re looking for promotional material, we’ve got everything from customizable gifts and plaques, to clocks and desk accessories to liven up the workplace. Above all, we value product quality and have a wealth of experience in this sector, so we’d be more than happy to help your company out here.
As our name might suggest, we have a whole host of awards available for you to purchase too. Whether you want crystal awards, acrylic awards, marble awards or something else entirely, our team would be pleased to assist you. Take a look at our full range here.
To sum it up
Overall, recognition is hugely important when it comes to the discussion of company culture. No matter if you’ve met your own personal goal or a company-wide one, it’s always incredibly gratifying to have your successes acknowledged by your peers and colleagues.
Praise and recognition can do a world of good for a person’s happiness and abilities at the workplace. If you’re in charge of a team/company and you don’t have any sort of awards or ceremonies in place, we’d highly recommend starting on this today. Over time, you will surely see the positive impact that recognition can have on a modern business.
If you’d like to find out more about what we could do for you, don’t hesitate to get in touch with a member of our team. You can speak to one of us at 850-878-7187 or on the contact form on our website today to learn more about our products and services.